My Favorite Tool for Listen to Reading (UPDATED!)

Sunday, September 11, 2016

I am here today to share with you my favorite tool for a successful listen to reading center.  I am fortunate in my classroom to have 6 iPads and about 6 laptops (I can borrow more when needed).  This year, I am setting my students up for Listen to Reading on the laptops because I have plans for the iPads to be used during Read to Self and Word Work.

http://www.symbaloo.com/home/mix/13ePGWbZ7h

Last year, another new teacher who is super into technology (thanks, Sarah!!) introduced me to a (FREE) website called Symbaloo.  Symbaloo is essentially a place where you can store all of your links to websites you want your students to go on. Your links are all on one page as small images so it is student friendly and easy to use. You can have custom pages if you have several classes or you want to group websites by subject.  It is FREE to sign up so you will want to make an account first. My page currently looks like this:



  Up in the top left corner I have a our math games.  On the right corner, I added books for students to choose for Listen to Reading (I will change these monthly).  I simply searched YouTube for stories.  But, we all know the ads and comments on YouTube are sometimes not so safe for our little learners. So, I use quietube.com to convert the links so they are safe for my students. Symbaloo LIKES quietube, too so they embed the books directly onto the Symbaloo website! No extra window opens and there are zero ads or pop ups!!

Steps for converting YouTube videos:

1. Find video on YouTube.  For example, How I Spent My Summer Vacation : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MS1nDeSk6Q

2. Copy and paste link into quietube's custom by simply replacing the red text with the youtube link!

 http://quietube7.com/v.php/http://www.youtube.com/watch

3. Now you have a link you can put onto your Symbaloo page.  Simply hover over a tile with your mouse and click "add a tile"


This will open a side bar. Choose "Create a tile".


Then paste the quietube link into the space for the website. 



It will autmatically change to "Embed in Symbaloo" so no new window will open up. When students are done listening, they click the white "x" in the corner and it takes them back to the main page with all of the tile options.



What is great about Symbaloo is that you can add, edit, and delete the sites you add.  I plan to change up my Listen to Reading stories once every two weeks a month. And that is how I will use Symbaloo for Listen to Reading!

If you have any questions, let me know!

Happy Teaching!


0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top