6 Anchor Charts for the Beginning of the Year

Monday, August 15, 2016

 Let me begin by saying I do not think anchor charts should be created without student involvement.  Period.  And beautiful anchor charts do not equate to a successful lesson/learning.  But, let's also face the fact that they can be visually appealing high effective resources. You may want to have a mental image of the direction of anchor chart design so that students are motivated to reference them.
(And so that you want to actually hang them up-- ha!)

So here are some of my favorites for the beginning of the year.


                                  
             
I was in search of the PERFECT, #1, most important, best ever anchor chart for the beginning of the year.  But I couldn't find just ONE that encompasses all of the crucial elements to those first few days.  Then, TADA, Kristin at School and the City blogged about her first week and shared this photo.http://schoolandthecityblog.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-first-week-of-second-grade.html

This, my friends, just makes my teacher heart happy.  She included her students in SO many ways.  You can tell their thoughts, ideas, opinions and feelings are the CENTER of each of these. 

First, she asked about how they felt on their first day of school and they graphed it.  They also voted on their favorite first day activity.  She had them share their ideas about what makes a good student and what makes a good teacher as a starting off point for discussing expectations. And finally, they developed a class constitution! LOVE IT! Simple but yet so powerful!

                         
“If a child does not know how to read, we teach....
If a child does not know how to multiply, we teach. 
If a child does not know how to behave, we… Teach?...Punish?"
John Herne

Last year, I became frustrated with many of my students' behaviors.  Sometimes I even felt personally offended that they weren't listening to me! I placed too much of the responsibility to behave into their hands without teaching them how I was expecting them to behave.https://www.pinterest.com/pin/155866837076835683/
I think one of the first steps in helping students be successful with their behavior is to teach them that they are in control of their actions.  This Self-control anchor chart is simple but helpful in explaining how to apply self-control for students.
And I am going to pair it with this great bubble lesson to practice self-control.
{I had a hard time tracking down the source for this one, if you know,
please share so I can give credit!}

Do you GoNoodle? Setting expectations for behavior during this time is crucial! One of my pet peeves is students complaining the song was too short or whining about doing another one. Or picking the Whip Nay Nay every.single.day. 
{Super cute chart by Loopin Littles}
I had kiddos who didn't want to participate (gasp!) and I was fine with that but I also don't want them wrestling in the back of the room so I might add in what I expect if you aren't GoNoodling.

Cara Carroll is the QUEEN of gorgeous anchor charts.  {Okay, let's be real she is the Queen of many amazing teaching skills}  After taking a writing class this summer, I am SO excited to implement writing workshop this year so this anchor chart is a MUST!
http://thefirstgradeparade.blogspot.com/search/label/anchor%20charts




If you are like me and NOT an amazing artist, The Pinspired Teacher shares all her secrets for creating AMAZING anchor charts with pre-made accessories.  SO definitely hope over there and take a look (but obviously not until you have finished this list!!!)
This chart is great because it breaks down those BIG words we are often using when talking reading comprehension.  You could even start with just one or two and add the others as your reading instruction deepens.
          


                                    
Finally, applying Growth Mindset in math is so important! I feel like a lot of students see math as black and white.  You are right or wrong.  And a lot of times, they think there is only one way to get to the solution.https://twitter.com/hashtag/GrowthMindset?src=hash

Obviously, these values are important in all subjects.  But, if we want our students to talk about math in a meaningful way and not just when they think they have the right answer, we need to be explicit in teaching how we can discuss mathematics as a process not just a product.


If you are looking for more anchor chart ideas, follow my Pinterest Board: Anchor Learning!

Happy Back to School!


0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top