Last Day Chain and Game Day {freebie}

Wednesday, June 1, 2016
Happy June All!
         I officially have 1 full day left with my students.  They come in on Friday for an hour and a half then POOF it will be summer {well for them, teachers still have to go on Monday}.  These last 12 days or so have been hands down the most fun, memorable days of the year.
        Like many of you, I have been doing a countdown with a special event/activity/treat each day.  While I LOVE the idea of balloons, I was a little too lazy to follow through with keeping them afloat for so many days so I went with a chain.


To spice it up a bit, I wrote the reward on the inside of the chain link in white crayon.  I choose one student who had an *outstanding* day to rip it off and color over the crayon to reveal the reward.


Here are the rewards I went with:

Teddy Bears and Teddy Grahams
Flashlight Day
Special Treat
Extra Recess
Swap Seats
Free Computer Time
Mouse and the Motorcycle
Special Guest
Movie Day
Game Day
Ice Cream Party
Kickball Tournament

{While I would love to go in great detail about each one, that is just not realistic for this #tiredteacher.  But if you want to know more, leave a comment or send me an email, I'd be happy to answer any Qs}

Let's talk about GAME DAY!

We started out talking about the upcoming Summer Olympic Games in Rio.  I wanted to get them PUMPED UP, make it somewhat educational and also have the opportunity to talk about sportsmanship.  My crew is a lively one and  they get heated during competition so I knew it would be important to address this head on. We talked about individual vs. team events.  We discussed earning gold, silver and bronze.  We chatted about congratulating our teammates AND others for a job well done.  We reminded ourselves we were here to HAVE FUN!

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Summer-Olympics-Rio-2016-Resources-and-No-Prep-Activities-2552939


I used some of the activities from my Summer Olympics pack as "warm ups" and also for students who might be sitting around during game time waiting for others to finish.  For a chance to WIN a copy of this pack, leave a comment with your FAVORITE Summer Olympic Sport to watch!

Here was the line up for Game Day:

 


I loved that I could incorporate games we play all year, review games AND then Rock Paper Scissors just for fun.  I got the idea for a RPS tourny from a genius teacher on Instagram and I cannot remember who.  If you know, please tell me so I can give credit!
 
After all was said and done and the kids were at recess, I put together an awards ceremony.  This wasn't in my original plan but after all the Olympics talk, I just had to make it happen.  I put up a podium background on the SmartBoard and played some ceremony music as I handed out medals to each team.
 
Kids clapped and cheered for each team which made my teacher heart happy. 



It was one of those days you leave school smiling and know your kids left school excited.  I can't wait to do it again next year.  Actually...I can ; )

Happy summer or almost summer break to you!!




2 comments:

Megan @ Meg Go Run said...

Wow doing the Summer Olympics in your class sounds like so much fun! This post made me feel like the most un-creative teacher ever lol. How did you have time to make all those medals?????? Those kids are lucky to have you. :)

Anonymous said...

Ah I have 11 days left of school and I love this idea! I love the Olympics and I think my second graders would enjoy this. Also, sportsmanship is something we have been working on all year. I'd love to win the pack- my email is ckelly@hamilton.k12.nj.us

I love watching swimming, yet I never enjoyed swimming too much (besides leisurely)

Thanks! Caitlin

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top